- Mediator and Arbitrator
1985 to date
- Distinguished Visiting Professor
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
651 East Jefferson Avenue
Detroit, MI 48226-4349
2010 to 2012
- Specialty Programs Director
Institute of Continuing Legal Education
1020 Greene Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
2005 to 2010
- Education Director
Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Ann Arbor
September 1, 1999 to 2005
Stark and Gordon, Royal Oak
Law Office of Sheldon J. Stark, Detroit
- Attorney and Partner
Kelman, Loria, Downing, Schneider & Simpson, Detroit
Employment discrimination, civil rights, personal injury law.
- J.D., University of Detroit School of Law, 1973, Magna Cum Laude.
- B.A., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1966.
- American Bar Association
Labor and Employment Law Section; Individual Rights Member, Equal Employment Opportunity Committee.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan
Metropolitan Detroit Branch, Vice President, 1995-96, 1996-97, 1997-98; 1998-99; 1999-2000; Executive Board Member from 1982; Delegate to State Board 1994-1997; Alternate, 1998-1999; member 2004; Co-Chair, Lawyer’s Committee, Detroit Metropolitan Branch, 1995-99; member, Lawyer’s Committee, ACLU of Michigan.
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
Member, Employment Section Advisory Committee 1990 to date; Chair, Employment Law Section, 1990-91; Publications Committee, 1996 to 1999.
- Attorney Grievance Commission
Chair, Attorney Discipline Panel #84.
- Detroit Bar Association
- Employment Panel Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: Member, Advisory Board Mediation Program, Detroit District Office 1997 to date.
- Federal Bar Association
- Fund for Equal Justice
1977 to date; Secretary 1980-1995; Chair, 1995 to 2003.
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
3-year term appointment in 1997, Labor and Employment Advisory Board.
- Michigan Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions
Chair, Intentional Tort and Employment Law Subcommittee 1985 to date; full member of Committee 1996 to 2002.
- Michigan Trial Lawyers Association
Executive Board 1996 to 1999; member, Employment Discrimination Committee; Co-Chair: Education Committee 1997 to 1999, Treasurer, 1999.
- National Lawyers Guild
Detroit Chapter, President, 1992-94; Executive Board member 1980 to 1996.
- National Employment Lawyers Association
Member, 1990 to date.
- State Bar of Michigan
Member, Labor & Employment Law Section Council, 1987-93; Treasurer, 1995; Secretary, 1996; Vice-Chairman, 1997; Chairman, 1997-98; member, Constitutional Law Committee, 1997 to 1999.
- Employment Discrimination in Michigan, Volume 2, co-author, published by Michigan Trial Lawyers Association.
- Employee Discovery, Employee Dismissal Law: Forms and Procedures, Chapter 4, author, published by Wiley & Sons.
- Employment Litigation in Michigan, Chapter Author, published by ICLE.
- Experts, Proofs and Problems in Establishing Emotional Distress Damages, author, published by ICLE.
- Michigan Causes of Action Form Book, Chapter Author, published by ICLE.
- Michigan Causes of Action Form Book, 1998 Supplement, Chapter Author.
- Michigan Wrongful Discharge & Employment Discrimination Law: 1999 Supplement
- Michigan Wrongful Discharge & Employment Discrimination Law: 1996 Cumulative Supplement
- Michigan Wrongful Discharge & Employment Discrimination Law: Revision
Publications & Presentations
Papers for various legal publications (author and/or co-author) Partial:
- What Did The Clarence Thomas-Anita Hill Hearings Teach Us About Sexual
- Harassment?, TRIAL Magazine
- Emotional Distress Damages In Employment Discrimination Cases
- Should Discrimination Be A Misdemeanor?, ATLA Section newsletter
- The “After-Acquired Evidence” Doctrine Is Under Attack in the Supreme Court, TRIAL magazine
- The “After-Acquired Evidence” Doctrine Since McKennon, TRIAL magazine
- Responsible Rainmaking, TRIAL magazine
- Employment Law After Rowe v Montgomery Ward
- Employment Lawyers and Computer Technology
- Review: Weeks v Baker McKenzie, TRIAL magazine
- Evaluating and Handling Employment Discrimination Cases--A Primer, Michigan State Bar Journal
- Handling Universal Employer Defenses In Civil Rights Litigation
- The Treatment of Visual Trial Aids Under The Federal Rules Of Evidence
- How I Became a Computer Dweeb, TRIAL magazine
- When the Trial Judge Is A Defendant, co-author, Civil Rights Litigation and Attorney Fees Annual Handbook, Volume 5, Clark Boardman, publisher.
- Trying Discrimination Cases To The Jury, TRIAL magazine.
- Teaching Harvard Law School, Trial Advocacy Workshop, since January 1988.
- National College of Advocacy, participant, Litigating Employment Law Cases seminar, October 1997.
- Oakland County Community College, Orchard Ridge Campus: Trial Preparation for Legal Assistant, 1991-1995; Policy Advisory Council, Legal Assistants Program, 1996 to 1999.
- Frequent speaker and presenter to various groups, including ATLA, NELA, MTLA and ICLE.
- American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator, Employment Panel
- Annual Advocacy Institute, Ann Arbor: Participant, 38th (1987), 42nd (1991), 47th (1996).
- Michigan Department of Civil Rights, Hearing Referee, 1985 to date.
- National Center for Dispute Settlement, ADR Panelist, 1995 to 1999.
- National Employment Mediation Services, ADR Panelist, and member, Advisory Panel.
- Oakland County Bar Association, Case Evaluator, 1996 to date
- Wayne County Mediation Tribunal, Case Evaluator, 1983 to date
- Very Special Arts Michigan, Executive Board Member, 1994-1998
- Approved Circuit Court Mediator, Wayne, Oakland, Washtenaw & Kent Counties, 2002.
- Mediation Trainer, ICLE 40-hour hands-on mediation training, 2001 to date
Completed 40-hour Facilitative Mediation Training, Oakland Mediation Center, October 29, 2000. Completed 20 hour Training for Mediator Training, Community Dispute Resolution Program, October 12-14, 2000, State Court Administrative Office.
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, The Bernard Gottfried Bill of Rights Day Award
- Metropolitan Detroit Branch, American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan, December 15, 1999
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Reader’s Poll, voted 1 of 25 most influential lawyers in Michigan.
- The Best Lawyers in America, listed 1987 - 2000.
- National Registry of “Who’s Who”, Life Member, 1999 Edition.
- Distinguished Service Award, Labor & Employment Law Section, State Bar of Michigan, January 2009
- The Michael Franck Award, Representative Assembly, State Bar of Michigan, 2010
- dBusiness Magazine, Top Lawyers in Alternative Dispute Resolution for 2012 and 2013
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, Fellow, 2013
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, elected June 2015
- Distinguished Fellow, International Academy of Mediators, Inducted April 2017