Shel Stark has arbitrated all manner of civil cases in every arbitration format: sole neutral arbitrator, part of a three neutral panel and as a party appointed arbitrator. He has served as chair and as a plaintiff’s representative. He believes that arbitration should be faster and cheaper than court litigation and will work with you to design an arbitration process to meet your needs without exceeding your budget.
Some of the ways lawyers have designed the arbitration process to save time and money are:
- Appointing a sole neutral arbitrator instead of a three-person panel.
- Submitting uncontested facts to the arbitrator in writing, calling witnesses only to testify about disputed issues.
- Limiting the amount of time each side has to present it’s case, with the arbitrator keeping track of the amount of time remaining for each side.
- Presenting direct testimony by deposition or affidavit; calling witnesses to the stand for cross-examination only.
- Presenting witnesses from far away by telephone or Skype.
- Replacing oral opening statements with written ones in your arbitration summaries.
- Replacing closing argument with written submissions after the close of the record.
- Seeking a simple verdict instead of a reasoned opinion.
He will be happy to work with you to design an arbitration process that meets your needs.